FAQ - Frequently Asked Tax Questions - More popular tax questions

Couldn’t find the answer to your question?
Call us at 0800 856 2471

17. Do I need a National Insurance Number (NI number)?

A National Insurance number is a reference number used by HM Revenue & Customs to record exactly where you have worked and what you have earned. By law, you must have a permanent NI number once you start working and in order to claim for a tax refund. Even if you have already left the UK, it is still a good idea to apply for an NI number.

To obtain a National Insurance Number, call 0141 207 3649 for more information or to find your closest Job Centre plus.

18. What is a self-assessment Tax Return?

Self-Assessment is the mandatory submitting of a Tax Return. This is an Inland Revenue issued document, which requires you to declare your earnings and tax paid for a financial year.

Important to understand is that unlike a tax refund claim, a Self Assessment Tax Return is required by law from individuals who are self-employed, a company director or a trustee or who receive foreign income. If you have more complicated tax affairs than the straight PAYE system you may need to complete a self assessment tax return.

19. What if I have received benefits from my employer?

Any benefits received are taxable and you will need to obtain a P11D from your employer for each tax year that you received benefits. This form must be submitted along with your P45s and P60s.

If you have received any dividend income, you will need to submit a dividend certificate for the relevant tax year.

20. Can I claim my tax back when I am outside the country?

You may claim back any tax you may have overpaid, even if you have already left the country.
Simply submit your claim within 5 years of leaving the UK , along with the necessary documents and you could enjoy a healthy refund!

Back to top


You have two options available to you

1. Use US as an Agency

• You’re guaranteed to get your refund • We ensure you receive all your money owed • We’ll argue for hours on the phone on your behalf • Hassle and Stress free simple process • We take care of all the admin • Your Refund paid to any country Use this agency to claim now >>

2. DIY direct through HMRC

• Long calls • Constantly chase them up • Complicated process • Your refund may not be accurate • You may not get your money • No commission Visit the HMRC (official tax office) >>

Tax Refund Calculator




ata compare fees

Copyright All Rights reserved.
Tax Refund | About Us | Contact Us | Terms and Conditions