Your frequently asked questions… answered!


1. What is a tax refund?

A tax refund is the repayment of any tax that you may have overpaid during the tax year. The “overpayment” is determined by HM Revenue & Customs.   

2. Who is eligible for a Tax Refund claim?

Anyone who has lived and worked in the UK may be eligible to claim a tax refund, even up to 5 years after leaving the country. It is estimated that 1 in 3 are due a tax refund and to date, millions of Pounds in unclaimed tax is being held at the revenue office!

3. Why would I have overpaid tax?

There are many reasons you may have overpaid tax: e.g. if you only worked for part of a tax year; if you worked for more than one employer in a tax year; if you have had two or more jobs concurrently; if you were taxed on a basic rate tax code.

4. How much can I claim back?

This will depend entirely on your personal circumstances. The average tax claimed back is around £1,230!
If you have earned less than the 'tax free allowance' you will be able to claim back all the tax you’ve paid (as an example, the tax free allowance for 2011/2012 tax year is £7475).  If your earnings exceed the 'tax free allowance', you are more than likely also due a tax refund.

To calculate your tax refund, use our online Tax Refund calculator or contact one of our professional Tax Refund Advisors for a free, no-obligation quote on 0808 141 2300.

5. When can I claim my tax back?

You should process your current tax refund claim at the end of any financial year (5th April) if you are still working in the UK. You can also claim for any previous tax year at any time. If you are leaving the country or have already left, before the tax year is over, you may claim at any time during the financial year.

6. How many years can I claim tax back for?

You may claim for a maximum of 5 years.


You have two options available to you

1. Use US as an Agency

• You’re guaranteed to get your refund • We ensure you receive all your money owed • We’ll argue for hours on the phone on your behalf • Hassle and Stress free simple process • We take care of all the admin • Your Refund paid to any country Use this agency to claim now >>

2. DIY direct through HMRC

• Long calls • Constantly chase them up • Complicated process • Your refund may not be accurate • You may not get your money • No commission Visit the HMRC (official tax office) >>

Tax Refund Calculator




ata compare fees

Copyright All Rights reserved.
Tax Refund | About Us | Contact Us | Terms and Conditions